NEW FOOD LOVE: Whoopies

Tuesday 8 June 2010

How do you feel about making Whoopie? No, not that kind! Whoopies are the latest food craze to hit the sweet market, soon overtaking the ever loved cupcake. Can it be so I hear you cry? Whoopie pies are a long standing Amish tradition originating from Maine and Pennslyvania, and a staple in any Amish lunchbox. So what's the deal? The 'pies' are created from two rounds of cakey substance, in the case of the traditional Amish pies, chocolate, and sandwiched together with a luciously rich chocolate butter icing. Sounds like sweet treat heaven.

As the Whoopie craze is relatively new over here in the UK, I was suprised to visit my local Marks and Spencer and see they were already bang on the food trend wagon and were stocking three varieties of the pies! In the interests of Gusto and Glee (naturally) I simply had to sample some of the latest IT cakes for myself. But what was my verdict?

The Marks and Spencer offerings came in at a reasonable £1.99. For the more adventurous of you, why not try investing in Sarah Billingsley's aptly titled 'Whoopie Pies' and making them for yourself?

 The pies were to me, what seemed a perfect size, but alas proved hugely sickly. It's probably just my British sensibility but a cup of tea is definitely needed to wash these bad boys down. If you like your cakey treats sweet and rich then these are for you. 


The sponge was light and almost resembled the great sim plicity of a child's chocolate chip  sponge fairycake; leading me to slightly reminisce about the good ol' cakes. As deceptively small as these pies look they pack a sugary punch, perhaps with a little too much rich chocolate buttercream icing. I know, it almost pains me to write that; that I'm professing to the world that an inch thick of milk chocolate buttercream icing is bad....

If you are tiring of over decorated cupcakes and meringuey macaroons aren't floating your teatime treat boat then make whoopie and get your hand on some pies!

1 comments:

Ruth said...

I had some of these in my basket today in M&S but decided to be good and put them back! I might have to try them now... They seem to have loads of new products in their food range at the moment, I want to try everything!

Post a Comment

GUSTO AND GLEE Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino